[SUMC] First Aid Training Opportunity

SUMC Committee sumc at sumc.org.uk
Sat Oct 20 18:02:46 BST 2012

Hello climbers!

As you are all (hopefully) aware, having signed our indemnity form and
agreed to the BMC participation statement (see below), climbing can be a
dangerous sport.

*"The BMC recognises that climbing and mountaineering are activities with a
danger of personal injury or death. Participants in these activities should
be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own
actions." *
*
*
However we, as a club, try to minimise these risks for everyone, so there
can be lots and lots of happy climbing, both indoors and outdoors!

One of the ways we are trying to do this is by running a first aid course
for those who are interested. At the moment there are no certain dates, but
I just want to know who would be interested in attending.

The course is a 3 hour long British Heart Foundation course called
Heartstart (you do get a certificate too!) and covers the following
- Assessing an unconcious patient
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Dealing with choking
- Serious bleeding
- Helping someone that may be having a heart attack

Although you might think it's not necessary, having basic first aid skills
can save lives (and you can put it on your CV too).

If you are interested, or have any questions, please reply to this email by
*Friday 26 October 2012. *Once we know how much interest there is we can
book a time and a date, and find out costs, which will be minimal - perhaps
£2-£5 depending on numbers.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend :)

Lydia
Secretary