[Pybackpack] pybackpack thoughts and future

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Thu Aug 23 22:13:27 BST 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 14:31 +0100, Andrew Price wrote:

> - GUI redesign (currently ongoing in branches/newgui) for accessibility
>   and HIG compliance, removal of GNOME-specific widgets

I'm going to beg off on anything like this. I have the design taste of a
brick.

> - Ability to run from the commandline or cron
>   (e.g. pybackpack --nogui --backup mybackupset)

Heh, another fedora contributor was asking for this specifically. :)

> - General code cleanup, better use of objects and decoupling

nod. Doing this is probably the most important step.

> - Abstractions and "plugin" APIs for backup/restore functions

nod - I'll post some other thoughts about that soon

> - Improve configurability

What configuration options are you thinking about?

Just to be clear about my goals:
 I'm looking for a way of having a backup interface in fedora that can
quickly and easily get a new user attached to a remote backup system
and/or a remote storage service (rsync.net, amazon-s3, whatever). Gnome
is the default desktop a user will see if they install from the livecd
or off of the standard disks so I'm focusing on that first.

I have a personal desire to be able to use this for my girlfriend and my
dad so  neither one of them will cry to me when their disk dies :)

-sv