[Pybackpack] pybackpack thoughts and future

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 00:50:07 BST 2007

On 8/24/07, Russell Harrison <rtlm10 at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is one of the questions I've had for awhile with any backup
> solution.  If pybackpack was able to be initiated from the command
> line would this be something that could be handled with
> NetworkManagerDispatcher scripts?  A simple script on device up could
> check if time of last backup greater than some value, and if able to
> connect to backup host, run pybackpack command line.  Does
> NetworkManagerDispatcher execute anything when VPN connections come
> up?

I don't know if you want to use the NM dispatcher scripts... or have a
pybackpack daemon be dbus aware.  I think having a pybackpack dbus
aware entity makes the most sense going forward. Something like the
notifier that Seth has mentioned could be made dbus-aware and act on
any number of events, usb, network what-have-you.  It also lets you
send inhibit events to the power management i think. That way if a
backup is in progress, you can inhibit suspend.  You really want
automation like this tied to a desktop notifier, or else you don't get
any feedback tell you its active.  A cmdline utility, is most useful
for legacy usage...like cron. If we want to do event triggers then
pybackpack should grow d-bus awareness for best long term impact.

> So basically a back end that queries the safekeep server for a backup
> set config and then executes it?

Yeah, basically..query the safekeep server somehow and get a list of
pre-defined backup sessions that the user has access to. Potentially
makes restoring from a central server location on the network..a
cakewalk for individual users.  There would need to be work on both
sides to make it happen..but I'm not afriad to break both codebases to
make it work :->

-jef